Beauty Must-Have: Vaseline
Vaseline (aka petroleum jelly) is one of those products that you probably have hanging around in your bathroom somewhere, but do you really use it…or for that matter, do you even know what to use it for? I like to think of it as the WD-40 of beauty products…the possibilities are endless. Below are a few of my favorite uses for Vaseline.
1. Eye Makeup Remover: Apply Vaseline on a soft tissue or cotton pad and gently swipe over your (closed) eye lids to remove makeup and soften skin. This trick is particularly great for removing stubborn mascara and fake lashes…gentle and effective.
2. Cuticle Softener: Rub Vaseline on cuticles to help soften and repair. You can also do this trick before painting your nails. Just apply the Vaseline around your nails, take a little nail polish remover to remove any excess from your actual nail…and after you polish, you are left with nice, neat nails.
3. Lip Smoother: Smooth Vaseline onto lips, then gently scrub lips with a toothbrush or damp wash cloth. Voilà! Your lips are now smooth and soft.
4. Rough Patch Resolver: I like to do this one before going to bed…just smooth Vaseline onto feet, massage in, and apply your favorite aloe socks (normal socks works too). When you wake up your feet will be smoother and more hydrated. For even greater hydration, use Vaseline on feet first, then apply your favorite foot moisturizer over the Vaseline layer and rub in!
5. Nix Lipstick Teeth: This is an old beauty pageant trick. When wearing bright shades of lipstick, always apply a thin layer of Vaseline to teeth to prevent the tragic lipstick to teeth transfer.
6. Create a Tinted Balm: This is a great idea to make your wallet stretch. Just mix a bit of Vaseline with your favorite lipstick to create a healthy-looking tinted balm for your lips and you can even use it on your cheeks!
7. Dewy Lids: This is probably one of my favorite uses. To create a dewy look (which is perfect for summer) just apply your favorite eye shadow as you normally would, then sweep a thin layer of Vaseline over your lids to give them a creamy glow.
8. Body Scrub: Mix Vaseline with sea salts for a softening hand, foot, or body scrub!
9. Facial Moisturizer: For those of you with really dry skin, you can use Vaseline as a facial moisturizer. Just apply to damp skin after cleansing.
10. Protect Your Hairline: If you color your hair at home, apply Vaseline to your hair line to prevent the dye from staining your skin.
11. Groomed Brows: Just a touch of Vaseline keeps your brows in place all day.
12. Sensitive Shaver: Use Vaseline on “sensitive areas” when shaving for added protection.
With Vaseline, the uses are endless…and with a price tag of around $2.99, you really can’t go wrong. Do you have an amazing use for Vaseline? Please feel free to share in the comment section!